Shakespeare among Us - 450 Years
‘O Romeo Romeo! Wherefore art thou Romeo?’ Only a small number of people do not know that this line comes from Shakespeare’s famous play ‘Romeo and Juliet’. This fact shows how significant Shakespeare’s work is for the world’s literature. One of the greatest playwrights of all time surely deserves to be celebrated as often as possible.
Uzice Grammar School decided to mark Shakespeare’s 450th birthday by organizing numerous educational and creative activities as well as competitions. Our school is not the only one to take part in them: the city of Uzice and other secondary schools have also decided to be a part of this great festivity.
Here is a short summary of the planned activities:
- Films are to be shown all year round;
- In November, the class of II1 is going to perform ‘Romeo and Juliet’ at the National Theatre in Uzice;
- Also in November there is going to be a quiz on Shakespeare’s life and work;
- An art contest and a literary contest (sonnet writing) are going to last from December 2013 to February 2014;
- March is going to be quite eventful with a reciting poetry contest, an exhibition and a workshop called ‘Theatres through models;
- The highlight of the whole celebration is going to be in April when the students and English teachers of Uzice Grammar School are preparing a poetic and musical programme.
We sincerely hope that all of our activities will be warmly welcomed and supported by the whole city of Uzice.